Green Chicken Curry | Hariyali Chicken Recipe | Dhaniya-Pudina Chicken Masala | Coriander Chicken
Delicious green chicken curry made with all greens in Indian style(Mangalorean style). Chicken & lots of green herbs joined hands together to create this amazing flavour-packed curry named “Hariyali Chicken Curry”.
Green chicken curry gets this name as lots of nutrient-rich herbs like coriander & mint leaves are added to this. Chicken is cooked in spices &freshly ground green masala. Very flavoured & delicious gravy that goes well with roti, chapati & rice.
There are different varieties of hariyalli chicken recipes but in Indian style, the recipe calls for more hot & spicy ingredients. Hariyali chicken has a great aroma of spices, coriander & mint. This dhaniya – pudina chicken goes well with plain rice, jeera rice, roti or even with ghee rice.
You can also use the same recipe to make green chicken tikka or one-pot green chicken rice. I have shared some tips below.
If you want to make green chicken tikka then just marinate the boneless chicken pieces with green paste and 2 tbsp of yoghurt or curd. Rest it overnight in the fridge and grill them in the oven until does.
To make one-pot green chicken rice, after you sauté the chicken in green paste cook until the chicken is almost done. Evaporate the excess moisture and then pour 3 cups of water and bring it to a rolling boil. Then add drained and soaked one cup of basmati rice. Cook covered on low heat until the rice is done.
Finally, I would like to highlight my other Mangalore cuisine with this post of the green chicken curry. It includes recipes like chicken sukka, prawns sukka, buthai fish curry, kollatharu fish curry, egg drop curry, bangude gassi. Further, I request you to check my other recipes collection like,
recipe card for green chicken curry:
Green Chicken Curry | Hariyali Chicken Recipe
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 cup curd
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
Green masala paste
- 2 pods cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 2 onion
- 5 green chilly
- 1 cup pudina
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup coconut
- 2 tsp coriander seed
- 1 tsp pepper corns
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp poppy seed
- lemon sized tamarind
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 green chilli
- salt to taste
- oil for cooking
- curry leaves
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Marinate chicken with curd, garam masala powder, salt, turmeric powder for 1/2 hour.
- Fry cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, star anise till aromatic.
- Add onion fry until it turns soft, add green chilly, pudina leaves & coriander leaves fry till it turns soft.
- Add coconut fry until turns light golden brown.
- Transfer all fried ingredients to a mixer jar
- Take pan dry roast coriander seed, cumin seed, fennel seed, peppercorns, poppy seed. Transfer to a mixer jar.
- Grind to fine masala paste
- Heat pan, oil 3 tsp, add curry leaves and onion fry till it turns brown
- Add chicken, salt to taste and turmeric powder, green chilly, tomato
- Cook until chicken pieces turn tender
- Add green masala cook until chicken pieces turn soft.
- Serve with roti, chapati rice
- Hear I used tamarind paste while grinding masala. You can skip that if you don’t want more sore or you can replace it with more curd or yoghurt, according to your preference.
- Adding garam masala powder while marinating is optional but we always add it. It really makes a huge difference.
Like the article? Share it!